- 1 1/4 cups minced scallions, both green and white parts (about a bunch)
- 2 tablespoons of finely minced or grated fresh ginger
- Cooking oil (avocado or rice bran oil)
- 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
- Fine sea salt
- 1 cup of finely julienned or grated rainbow carrots
- 1 cup of pickled napa cabbage
- 3 cups cooked, cooled rice
- 4 eggs
- Soy sauce or tamari (to serve)
- Toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Sriracha or gochujang (for garnish/to taste)
Make the vinaigrette:
Mix scallions, ginger, 1/4 cup oil of rice wine vinegar in a jar with a lid. Season with a few dashes of salt, close the jar and give it a shake and set aside.
Crisp your rice:
Heat a large frying pan over medium high. Add 1 tablespoon of oil; you’ll want to just coat the bottom with a thin layer of oil. Heat the oil until it shimmers then scatter the rice in the pan. Season lightly with salt and do not touch it. In 3 to 5 minutes, the underside will become golden brown and crisp. If you like more crunch, sse a spatula to flip it in sections then fry on the other side until it is also crispy. If you like just a little bit of crunch, frying one side is perfect. Divide the rice between four bowls.
Place the carrots and pickled cabbage on top of the rice in each bowl. Next, spoon 2 tablespoons vinaigrette over top. (add avocado, braised pork, beef, or chicken, poke or lox, house pickled, etc. as well if you'd like!)
Fry each egg sunny side up and place one on each bowl. Drizzle a little tamari, hot sauce, and sesame seeds over top to taste. Enjoy!